The Golden Rose Contest is open to all non-contracted RWA authors of romantic fiction unpublished in book-length (50,000 words or more) in the last three years and any member of RWA who is not eligible to join RWA-PAN. Please see the RWA website regarding PAN eligibility rules.
- Entries must be the first 10,000 words of a full-length novel with a projected length greater than 50,000 words (no novellas or short stories).
- Manuscripts previously released for public sale in any format are not eligible for the Golden Rose.
- Previous first place winners of the Golden Rose Contest may not re-enter the winning entry, even in edited format. They may, however, enter another work. Previous 2nd and 3rd place entries will be accepted, revision encouraged.
- If your manuscript is accepted for publication or you become eligible to join RWA-PAN during the time of our contest (March 15th through August 31st), you must notify the Contest Coordinator. Your submission(s) will be withdrawn from consideration for final round judging, however you will receive the first round judge critiques for your manuscript.
- While not required, all entries should be part of a completed manuscript. Finalists often receive requests for the full manuscript from final round judges.