Hi all! For those of you who don’t know me, I’m what you would consider a long-distance member. I live in Salem but rarely make it to the meetings simply because I have three kids in sports. (And, wouldn’t you know it…Saturdays are “sports” days around here.) But I’m thrilled to be with you all today.
In following with this month’s theme and the fact this is the end of 2008, I thought I’d blog about things that made me smile this past year. Obviously, as this is release day for my debut romantic suspense, STOLEN FURY, top of the list for me is…well…release day!
Archaeologist Lisa Maxwell has staked her career on collecting the priceless set of ancient Greek reliefs, the three Furies. She finds the first, Alecto, and while lecturing in Italy, meets Rafe Sullivan, a man who briefly distracts her from her goal. After a passionate seduction, Lisa wakes to an empty bed and, worse yet, an empty safe. But she’s not the kind of woman to get mad, she plans to get even…even if she has to partner up with the sexy scoundrel who swindled her. Together they’re on the run to find the last two Furies. But Lisa soon finds Rafe is the least of her worries. Other treasure hunters are hot on their trail–and they’ll kill to get to the prize first.
STOLEN FURY was a joy to write. I remember smiling when I finished it because I knew I had something special. But there have been other writing moments that have made me smile this past year. Including…
1. Getting “the call” in February.
2. Talking to my editor on the phone for the first time and hearing how much she loved the book and my writing.
3. Getting my first cover (which I LOVE).
4. Meeting my editor, face to face, at Nationals in San Francisco.
5. Hanging out with some of the RCRW girls in San Fran. (Super fun times!!)
6. Each good review as it’s trickled in. Especially the Publisher’s Weeekly one where they called STOLEN FURY “A rock-solid debut.”
7. Receiving a copy of my book from my editor, hot off the press.
8. Having my book compared to Romancing the Stone and Indiana Jones.
9. Having a reviewer compare my hero to a “Han Solo/Indiana Jones rogue” (how fun is that?)
10. Getting my box of author copies.
11. Every email from friends who are excited about the release.
I know I’m leaving off moments this past year that made me smile, but those are the big ones I can remember off the top of my head. It’s been a fun year – this time from unpublished to publshed – a bit stressful, but a year I wouldn’t change for the world. Big thanks to all of you who have been so supportive of me on the loop and in person.
How about you? 2008 is winding down. Time to look back at your year and tell us…what happened in your writing life this year that made you smile?
And before I forget…I’m running a FUN, interactive contest on my website. Embark on your very own quest, partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and enter to win a $100 VISA gift card!