Writing is a solitary job. When writers do go out into the world, it’s usually to mix with other authors who won’t call the loony bin when you talk about your hidden werewolf baby (thanks Lynn) or call the cops when you say you need a way to kill someone with a knife and not let it get too bloody (thanks Connie).
But sitting at home with your laptop doesn’t sell books. (DARN!) Sometimes you can get by with ads and word of mouth, sometimes you have to be more active and haunt readers on blogs, forums, yahoo groups, myspace, twitter, facebook…
You can promo to the point where writing takes a back seat. No one is happy when that goes down. It’s important to find a balance between flashing your book and letting it fade away. If anyone figures it out let me know. In the meantime, here’s the top 10 list of free promo I use whenever I have a new release.
1. Yahoo groups
2. Getting your friends to blog your book (thanks, Romance Divas!!)
3. Contest / giveaways
4. Book reviews — these trickle in slowly but they always make my day
5. Author interviews
6. Free Reads — nothing is better than the Romance Divas ebook challenge
7. Online chats — these are so hit or miss, though the CoffeeTime Romance one I did had great people.
8. Reader groups (Manic Readers, The Romance Studio)
10. Guest blogging